Since vape juice is essentially the constituent being inhaled in a vape device, it is important to understand different aspects of vape juice. Anyone associated with vaping should be able to answer these questions:
- What is vape juice?
- What is vape juice made of?
- Is vape juice safe for consumption?
- What is DIY e juice?
What is Vape Juice and what is it used for?
E-liquid, E-juice or more commonly referred to as vape juice, is a colloidal mixture of 3-4 liquids. Vape juice is the main constituent of the vapor produced in a vape device. The atomizer heats up the vape juice to produce the vapor. E-juices flavors depends upon your imagination, a chef can create any flavor he/she thinks of. The main categories of the flavor available include tobaccos & cigars, fruity, desserts, chocolate, candy, drinks, minty etc.
What is Vape Juice made of?
Possessing less ingredients than an average chewing gum, the vape juice is made of just Propylene Glycol (PG), Vegetable Glycerin (VG), flavoring and nicotine (optional).
- Propylene Glycol (PG): Propylene glycol (PG) is a synthetic organic compound (C3H8O2). Propylene glycol is odorless and has a light sweet taste. It is used as a solvent or base for e-juice. The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has classified propylene glycol as an additive that is “generally recognized as safe” for use in food. It is also being used in food processing industry and is considered safe with minimum to zero side effects.
- Vegetable Glycerin (VG): More commonly called as Glycerol, is a simple polyol compound. Being a nontoxic, sweet tasting, viscous, colorless and odorless liquid, Vegetable Glycerin is the best option for e-juice base. It is also used in food industry as sweetener and several pharmaceuticals formulations. Vegetable Glycerin is a natural liquid made from plant oils. According to CFR - Code of Federal Regulations Title 21 of the FDA Glycerin has been generally recognized as “safe when used in accordance with good manufacturing practice”
- Flavoring (Natural or Artificial): Flavoring is used in majority of the products found in your nearest Walmart. However in both eatables and vape juices only FDA approved flavorings should be used. Only 2-5 % of the vape juice constitutes of flavoring.
- Nicotine (Optional): E juices are commonly available in different nicotine strength. It is an optional ingredient, as almost all of the e-juices are available in 0 mg nicotine. Nicotine is an addictive substance and present in tobacco products, tea etc. Normally nicotine vape juices are used by tobacco smokers, as an alternative to cigarettes. Vape juice can also help fight nicotine addiction by slowly tapering off the addiction (lowering the dosage of nicotine in vape juice gradually with use).
Difference between Propylene Glycol (PG) & Vegetable Glycerin (VG)
Understanding the difference in both types of vape juice bases i.e. propylene glycol (PG) and vegetable glycerin (VG) is vital for selecting the right type of vape juice for you. Generally it is better to use vegetable glycerin (VG), which is also naturally made. However VG tends to be thicker in consistency and is consequently more difficult to be absorbed by the wick, and also more easily “gunks” up the coil as compared to PG. Propylene Glycol (PG) also produces a stronger throat hit and produces more vapor (ideal for cloud chasers). Flavor intensity is also much higher for high VG % e- juices. VG has a higher risk of allergy reactions and the temperature of vape produced is also higher. Consequently both VG and PG juices have different pros and cons and the selection depends upon personal preferences.
How to Store your E-Juice?
It is recommended to store e-juice in a dark and cool environment. This helps to retain the flavor and freshness of the vape juice. DIY e-juice is also recommended to be stored in cool dark places especially during steeping. Putting the vape juice in fridge is a good option, however storing in a lidded container at room temperature will also suffice.
What are the Qualities of a Good Vape juice?
In order to assure the integrity of a vape juice, it is recommended to buy from a reputable company which clearly lists its ingredients and does not add any additives or mystery fillers. E-juices containing acetoin, acetyl propionyl and diacetyl should be avoided, since these are hazardous compounds.
How Can You DIY Your Flavor Blend?
Similarly to selecting your favorite ice cream flavor, DIY vape juice can be made of any flavor or combination of flavors one can think off. Playing with your own flavor blends, you can discover new great flavors. It is a good practice to use flavors which pair well with each other such as chocolate and strawberry, mango and orange etc. You can find gazillions of e juice recipes online or you can be a chef and try out your own inventions, totally up to you.